Want to learn how to better use Social Media? Stay tuned for Social Media Saturdays, where we turn the world wide web into a comprehensible marketing guide.

 

Todays Topic: The 80/20 Rule

The 80/20 rule, also known as the Pareto principle, basically says that 80% of an outcome stems from 20% of the work put in. So, if you publish 30 blog posts in the month of September, six of them will likely end up driving the majority of traffic (and leads) to your site.

However, there is another 80/20 rule that applies specifically to social media marketing. This one says that 80% of your social media posts should be non-promotional in nature while the rest, well, you can do whatever you want with them.

About 80% of your content should be relevant to your audience, valuable, shareable, and high quality. The other 20% of your content can be self-promotional. The reason why is because sometimes self-promotional marketing can be perceived as “over-doing it” or “being-needy”. Not that this means you are, just it could be portrayed in the wrong light

-and there are ways around that. (Also, the percentages are just guidelines, not strict numbers).

If you’re worried about not having promotional content in all of your posts, then fret not! There are ways to still attach your name to your artwork, without over-doing it.

Literally, attach your name to it.

126_35714_3_1_thumb

This picture does not have the artist’s name, but it has the opportunity to include one. This would not only get the content out on social media but in a subtle way include a self-promo.

You can also add a bit about your method behind a piece, to get some self-promo like content out in the 80% content. Maybe you can do what Wil Scott did (below), and pose in front of your work.

Portland

You should always remember that the 80/20 rule for social media is a successful method. About 80% of your content should be relevant to your audience, valuable, shareable, and high quality. About 20% should be self promotional. 

The important word in Social Media is the word Social, so as long as your contributing to the conversation and not stopping it, you have a good chance at getting your work farther out there.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s